The McNeela African Blackwood Irish Flute
Designed to a modified version of Pratten’s Perfected flute by Boosey & Co, the McNeela Blackwood Flute delivers the characteristic Pratten big sound but with greater ease and at its current price beats all other premium flutes on sale, hands down.
Key Features of the McNeela African Blackwood Keyless Flute
- Powerful sound full of character
- Takes air easily
- Very Responsive
- Beautiful intonation, complex overtones & big volume thanks to the African Blackwood
- Little adjustment needed to keep it in tune
- Strong low D
- Effortless 2nd octave
- Tuned to standard concert pitch A440
- Cork Lapped Joints
- Key of D
- 8 tone holes (2 are decorative)
- Comes with a free top quality foam-lined flute box
- 14-Day Money Back Trial Period - No Quibbles
This good looking flute will get you taken seriously at any traditional Irish session and, with the excellent intonation, wonderful tone and powerful sound the McNeela Blackwood produces, you’ll always be welcomed back.
We’ve chosen African Blackwood, the finest tonewood, because of its hardness, moisture resistance and excellent sound; this dense hardwood lends a dark, rich, and woody timber sound, which is exactly what you want from an Irish flute.
We use a cork-lapping sealing technique to protect the top tenon and for a firm head joint. This sealing technique also ensures zero leakage of precious air and helps you produce a ‘honking’ low D. Great for session playing.
The flute features a squared ellipse embouchure hole for ease of play and a brighter sound. The aperture is smaller than standard Pratten-style making it easier to fill and keep filled so you can keep playing without exhausting your lungs.
When you tune the McNeela African Blackwood flute for one note all others follow. Our careful and precise tuning process during the manufacturing stage means little adjustment is needed to keep it in tune, leaving you to focus on your performance.
The tuning slide means you can adjust the pitch to adapt to any playing situation from a session environment to outdoor recitals and everything in between. Also handy if your venerable fellow musician is playing slightly sharp or flat.
Your Flute's Voice
We recommend playing your flute daily for about 15 minutes initially and steadily lengthening each playing period to help the flute develop its ‘voice’. This is a gradual process but it’s a lovely way to condition and mature the flute and well worth the time.
Dry your flute thoroughly after playing to prevent trapped moisture distorting and warping the wood. Always take it apart after playing and when storing, this takes pressure off the tenons. Lightly oil the bore only when absolutely necessary and if in a particularly dry climate, as over-oiling can cause cracks. Use cork grease on the cork lapping to allow for ease of disassembling. Never pull when disassembling, rather twist each part backwards and forwards and gently coax it off. Try to avoid very dry conditions and do not leave the flute in direct sunlight or near a source of heat. Always warm up before play.
Comes with a top quality foam-lined flute box.
One Year Guarantee* against material defects and dissatisfaction: It's important to be protected by a comprehensive guarantee that's why we proudly offer a one year guarantee on the McNeela Blackwood Flute against any material defects. We're very comfortable with this as we know that the manufacturing process was completed to the highest spec and nothing was overlooked. Even beyond one year we will service the flute e.g. replace corks etc, for a nominal fee.
*Please note: We cannot guarantee wooden flutes against cracks in extreme climates including the USA/Canada and Australia. If in doubt choose a polymer flute like our excellent Lon Dubh Irish Flute.
- 14 day Money Back Guarantee for any reason (from the day you receive the flute).
- 1 Year Guarantee against any material defects. Please note: We cannot guarantee wooden flutes against cracks in extreme climates including the USA and Australia. If in doubt choose a polymer flute like our excellent Lon Dubh Irish Flute.
- Free back-up service for 1 year (we proudly look after our customers and their instruments)
- Comes with a free foam-lined box. The box contains three compartments for your whistles* and is shock absorbent for extra protection. *Please note whistles are not included.
- If purchased before 12 pm (Monday - Friday) it's shipped the same business day.
- Low cost priority shipping - Anywhere in the world.
ESTIMATED SHIPPING TIMES:
All orders placed before 12pm are shipped the same day.
IRELAND (Next Day)
UK (5 - 7 days)
EUROPE (7 days)
USA and CANADA (7 - 10 days)
REST OF WORLD (10 - 14 days)