Setanta Intermediate Low D Whistle
- 1,000.00 Grams
- Calculated at Checkout
- Tenor Low Whistle in D
- Two piece aluminium construction
- Well balanced
- Warm, clear tone
- Great Volume
- Strong low D
- Great Irish Session Whistle
- Setanta Low Whistle Case available to purchase separately
This quality low whistle is a worthy investment for any intermediate level whistle player. You’ll be able to hear and feel the difference a well crafted instrument makes to your playing.
Setanta whistles have caught the eye of professional tin whistle players John McSherry and Alan Doherty, who can been seen in the video above, playing at the launch of the original Setanta Low Whistle in Swords, County Dublin.
These quality whistles have garnered the acclaim of these legendary players, with John McSherry even proclaiming that "they play themselves!" High praise indeed.
Piper's Grip: Please note that due to the size and spacing of the toneholes, we recommend using piper’s grip to play this low whistle. This grip involves playing with flattened fingers, with the fingertips extended beyond the tone holes. You can learn more about it here: McNeela's Guide to the Piper’s Grip.
ABOUT THE MAKER
John has spent numerous years playing whistles and uilleann pipes professionally on the road with Riverdance, Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder (to name but a few) in venues ranging from London's Royal Albert Hall to Carngie Hall and Broadway in New York.
John felt it was time to produce a range of quality instruments specifically designed for the rigours of performing professionally across musical genres from céilí bands to orchestral work.
With this in mind, he developed his new range of Setanta whistles featuring a beautifully warm clear tone in all octaves, excellent responsiveness and exceptionally accurate tuning.
This has been a labour of love for John but in order to bring his concept from dream to reality he enlisted the expertise of his long time friend, musician, and instrument manufacturer, Paraic McNeela.
This whistle has been precisely engineered featuring a warm balanced tone, excellent responsiveness and highly accurate tuning.
Reviews for the Setanta Pro Low Whistle
- "Very nice craftsmanship. Solid made and flawless finish." - Henrik B.
- "Such a beautiful, responsive instrument... everything I had hoped for in its rich sound." - Nan F.
- "Lovely whistle. Great sound. Excellent service." - Steve W.
- "The Setanta low-D is a marvel. The tone is beautiful throughout the range. So, is the intonation... I very much appreciate the attention to detail and craftsmanship in this whistle. The finger holes are nicely beveled for comfortable and accurate playing... A great price for the best low-whistle I’ve ever played!" - Bill T.
Tuneable vs Non Tuneable Low Whistles
Like all musical instruments, low whistles are affected by changes in the weather - specifically the temperature. The higher the temperature, the warmer your whistle and the sharper the sound of the pitch produced.
So if you're playing at a session in a crowded venue, chances are after a while your whistle will be playing at a higher pitch than when you began. The opposite also applies. If you’re playing outdoors or in colder temperatures, chances are your whistle may sound a little flat. How do you combat this? With a tuneable whistle.
Tuneable low whistles come with a tuning slide that allows you to adjust the pitch of the instrument. Extending the tuning slide flattens or lowers the pitch, while closing it sharpens or raises the pitch. Vital for group or ensemble playing, a tuning slide will allow you to match your fellow musicians' pitch and make some great sounding music together.
Good to Know:
- 14 day money back guarantee from the day you receive your Setanta whistle. See our Shipping & Returns Policy.
- If purchased before 12pm (Monday-Friday), we ship it the same business day.
- Priority Shipping Worldwide.
- If you're in a hurry enquire about our FedEx 4-6 day shipping.
ESTIMATED SHIPPING TIMES
IRELAND (Next Day)
UK (5 - 7 days)
EUROPE (7 days)
USA and CANADA (7 - 10) days)
REST OF WORLD (10 - 14 days)